Independent Study Guidelines
Sierra Unified offers both Short-Term and Long-Term Independent Studies to all Students
Short-term Independent Studies
Students can utilize short-term independent studies at the Foothill Elementary, Sierra Junior High and Sierra High School. Short-term independent studies are done for a maximum of 15 days total per school year and are done by the student’s current teachers.
Long-term Independent Studies
Students requesting long-term Independent Studies will be served at Sierra @ Home. Parents can request that their student be transferred to Sierra @ Home at any time during the school year.
- Parents have the right to request a pupil-parent-educator conference meeting prior to enrollment.
- Pupils have the right to enroll, disenroll and re enroll in Independent Studies at any time in the school year. The student will be placed in their requested placement within 5 days of their request.
- Content will be aligned with grade level standards. Students in high school will have access to all courses offered by Sierra Unified for graduation and all A-G approved courses.
- Instruction will be provided at a minimum as follows by grade level:
- TK-3: Daily synchronous instruction for all students
- 4-8: Both daily live and weekly synchronous instruction
- 9:12: Weekly synchronous instruction